Genetic Galaxy Defender is a simple space shooter game written in Flash where you play a heroic space pilot defending your motherland from the horde of invading alien robots (that, for some reason, look like Octopi). This is a game I made for a final project in a Systems Engineering class where we focused on biological inspiration in engineering design.
While this game is actually pretty fun (and challenging), it also demonstrates the power of Genetic Algorithms. The Aliens artificial intelligence (AI) and equipment load-out are governed by this algorithm.
In this game, you will find that Alien equipment and tactics evolve over time. They adapt to the player’s style and tactics. This makes for an especially challenging game as the Aliens evolve.
Play the Game
Enough talk, go and defend your galaxy! After you play, read further to discover more about this game. Basic instructions can be found in the first screen and in the play screen. (hint: press “p” at any time to pause. Everything you need to know is on the screen somewhere).
- You need Adobe Flash Player
- Click on the Flash image below. It will open the game in full screen
- Follow the on-screen instructions
- Come back when you are done – leave a comment! Best score? Highest level? Love it? Hate it?
- After the Aliens evolve, the screen will wait about 10 seconds before proceeding to the next level. I will add a countdown timer to the next version.
- Resolution is 1040×680 pixels
Here is the game, which at the moment I am not fitting to the screen. Click it to begin: